taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

Is the CGT rate calculated on your personal rate of tax or

Is the CGT rate calculated on your personal rate of tax or is it always 40% flat rate?
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

CGT rates are 18%, 28% or a combination of both depending on your total income in the tax year in which capital gain arises.

More information on this can be found here

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/cgt.htm#2

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. I may have a large gain this coming year, so if I reduce my drawdown pension I may be able to reduce the CGT rate?

Thanks for your reply.

If you are considering drawing down pension post budget 2014 changes then yes you would have to make adjustments.

I hope this is helpful.
I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes