Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

My Grandmother bought a property in 1985. The deed shows the

My Grandmother bought a property in 1985. The deed shows the registered owners as my Grandmother and Mother (although my Mother did not contribute any money towards the purchase). The title absolute on the deed also shows my Grandmother and Mother. My Grandmother died 3 years ago and my Mother has kept the property, although she does not live in it as she has her own house. If she were to sell it now, would there be Capital Gains Tax to pay?
Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.

Yes your mother would have capital gains to pay, which would equate to a maximum of 50% share for the period 1985 to 1011 (when your grandmother passed away) and 100% for the period 2011 to the date of sale.

This is because although she did not contribute to the purchase, the legal status is that she was deemed to be joint owner with your grandmother.

You dot advise whether this property was owned as joint tenants - which may mean the ownership was a split different to 50:50 or tenants in common which could mean the ownership was other than 50:50

So your mother may need to dig out the paperwork pertaining to the sale, or more recently the solicitor that handled your late grandmothers estate.

But this sale would need to be advised to HMRC - so that they could issue the appropriate self assessment tax returns for that year end, for the capital gain to be declared.