Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

If I take a tax-free contract in Oman (for 1 to 2 years) am

If I take a tax-free contract in Oman (for 1 to 2 years) am I still liable for UK tax (my home and family are in the UK).
Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your question, I am Sam and am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.

As long as
1) this contract abroad lasts at least a full tax year (so if you left now in May 2014, then the contract would have to last beyond 05/04/2016 - to ensure the full tax year is achieved and
2) Your visits back to the UK did not exceed more than 90 days (and a pro rata of 90 days for the part tax years

Then you will be treated as exempt from this income, even with family and home in the UK

If its for less than the full tax year, then you will be liable to UK one all the income