TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

Hi _I have a property which Im currently renting due to having

Customer Question

Hi _I have a property which I'm currently renting due to having temp. accommodation included in my seasonal position - due to the nature of rental contracts I'm unable to access my property for the 'out of season' months (November-end Feb) and therefore have to pay for accommodation - am I able to claim this money against tax? thanks - Helen B
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 3 years ago.
Unfortunately, you cannot deduct the cost of your accommodation because you are not incurring an additional expense. The rent would need to be attributable to business travel and then a deduction can be given for the cost.
I sincerely wish I could advise differently but, accommodation expenses would need to be in the course of your work to be deducted.