bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I owe hmrc approx. £ 11500.00 and have offered to pay £250

Customer Question

I owe hmrc approx. £ 11500.00 and have offered to pay £250 per week
would this be an acceptable figure
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.

As you are suggesting a repayment schedule in excess of your previous arrangements one would anticipate that such an offer would be met with open arms! However, HMRC tend to adopt a very hard nosed attitude to moneys owning, utterly oblivious to any normal person's ability to pay, working on the assumption that 'You have had the money so why can't you pay it back?' I have personally attended a meeting where an Inspector demanded an immediate cash settlement of tax which was not even due. Needless to say, he did not get it and his superiors received an immediate letter of complaint regarding his antics!

I would wait and see what is the response to your suggestion. HMRC may accept your offer in which case there is nothing to worry about. If they do not then you will have to continue to negotiate and stick to you guns. I do feel that as you are increasing your payments unilaterally over previous arrangements HMRC have little to complain about.

I do hope I have been able to help with your problem.
Thank you for your support.