Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

Hi , I have living abroad for nearly 20 years and plan

Hi ,

I have living abroad for nearly 20 years and plan to return to the UK on June 3rd . So I am officially non -resident.

My last working day with my company will be the 31st of May 2014. And I will not resume employment in the UK.

However as I may not receive my last salary BEFORE I arrive in the UK on the 3rd of June I assume that this last salary will still be classed as " tax free " from a UK tax perspective. So my question is do I also need to transfer i.e. empty my bank account here before I physically arrive in the UK or is it ok to leave my overseas earnings in my current bank account here and then transfer it to my UK bank account after my arrival in the UK.

Hope this makes sense !

Thank you .
Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your question. I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.

As this salary relates to employment, not only conducted abroad, but during the final period of being treated as not resident in the UK, this last salary will be deemed to be free of UK tax.

This applies, where the money remains in an overseas bank account or is paid into a UK bank account, as its your residency status that determines the tax position of the payment, not to where it is paid.

And for other income that was earned during your time abroad, that sits in your current bank account, whether you transfer this before or after your arrival in the UK, will have no bearing, as it was all earned whilst treated as not UK resident, so remains free of UK tax.

Do feel to ask any follow up questions on this matter

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much ,

That is excellent service with a very thorough response. You have set my mind at ease.

Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.
Hi Maureen,

You are very welcome and do feel free to come back to Just Answer again if you have any further questions, and you can always ask for me SamTax if you prefer, just ask for me in any new opening post.

If in the meantime I could trouble you to rate the level of service I have provided, it would be appreciated, as this ensures I am credited for my time.

Thanks,

Sam.