TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

My mom have VAT receipt and also with stamps on it, but she

My mom have VAT receipt and also with stamps on it, but she was in hurry at that time and didn't get the money back at that time. Is it possible she mail me all the receipts and her passport so that in can claim for her instead?
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 years ago.
If your mom was visiting from another country she may be entitled to a refund of the VAT on goods she bought from shops that offer Tax Free Shopping (also known as the Retail Export Scheme).
Tax Free Shopping allows travellers leaving the European Union (EU) to get a VAT refund on goods they buy here and take home. It cannot be used for services.
This is required to be completed before leaving unfortunately. She must have shown her goods, receipts and her refund form to UK customs staff at the airport she was leaving from. This is why one must make sure they arrive at the airport early so that they have plenty of time to deal with the customs staff before their departure.
This is not always possible but the reporting and request now would not be possible.
I wish I could advise that your mom could correct this now.
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience: International tax
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you for your reply.

she have the receipts and stamps from the the UK custom, but she didn't have time to collect cash.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 years ago.
If she did the custom requirements then she will use one of these methods:
post the form back to the retailer to arrange payment of the refund or
post the form back to a commercial refund company to arrange payment of the refund