Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

can i get help to pay over due tax i only have disabilty alowance

Customer Question

can i get help to pay over due tax i only have disabilty alowance and sick pay
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.

Can you tell me what your situation is, how much the tax owing is and for which tax year the liability is for please. How did it arise? Are you in the self-assessment tax system? Do you have a UTR (Universal Tax Reference)?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it is for tax year just gone ,i am disabled and have not worked for 8yrs i have been on job seekers but that stopped on 17th of april i get disability living allowance high rate .The tax problem came up when i cashed in a pension with Aviva i opted out of serps 26yrs ago and got a lump s um of £600 after tax was taken out i cant remember how much it was before tax All i need to no is who do i contact to arrange to pay off the debt monthly with amount i can aford im sorr i think im wasting your time i have given my card details i hope it is safe

Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.

Thanks. There's no need to apologise at all.

I still cannot see how the tax liability has arisen given that you have not worked for 8 years and you are now on DLA which is tax free, though you were on JSA which is taxable. You also mention sick pay. Is that paid by an employer? You wouldn't normally be on sick pay and JSA at the same time

The tax year that has just ended is the 2013/14 tax year which ran from 6 April 2013 to 5 April 2014. When did you cash in the pension? Was it worth £18,000 or less? How much did you receive tax free and how much tax did you pay on the balance? How much JSA did you receive in the 2013/14 tax year? What makes you think you owe any tax? It's a bit too soon for the tax office to have worked out your 2013/14 tax.