Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

My employer requires me to fly abroad for work. My employer

My employer requires me to fly abroad for work. My employer reimburses the economy air fare, but I often pay for myself to travel business class. The trips are only for work. Is the additional expense incurred deductible as an employment expense on my self assessment return?
Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.

No I am afraid it isn't, as your employer makes good the out of pocket expense you would have incurred, and the cost to upgrade is a personal choice, and not in line with expenses incurred through the performance of your duties.

So you cannot claim this additional cost.

Let me know if you have any follow up questions