TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

I am 78years oldand my female partner is 77. we both have 3pensionsand

I am 78years oldand my female partner is 77. we both have 3pensionsand wouldlike to know if there are any tax disadvantages to getting married
Expert:  TonyTax replied 3 years ago.

Each party to a marriage is taxed independently of the other so you would not pay more tax as a result of getting married. In fact, if you got married and one of the two of you was born before 6 April 1935, the spouse with the higher income would be entitled to the married couples' allowance which would reduce their overall tax bill by a maximum of £816.50 (£8,165 x 10%). However, as with the age allowance, the married couple's allowance starts to be lost at an income level of £27,000 per annum but you will always be left with a minimum of £3,140 which is worth £314.00 in tax terms.

You can read about the married couple's allowance here and see the personal allowances here.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
will there be any effect on our pensions.each of us has a state pension, workpension and percentage of spouses pension
Expert:  TonyTax replied 3 years ago.
Remarrying could affect your current state pension arrangements but only if you remarry before you reach state pension age so this should not apply to you as you will read here. As for any effect on private pensions, you would need to contact the pension payer for clarification.

It might be worth contacting the people here and here as they are the pension experts and they will be able to give you complete peace of mind.