Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

sole trader , if I cannot pay £25k tax bill can HMRC force

Customer Question

sole trader , if I cannot pay £25k tax bill can HMRC force me to sell my house which is
jointly owned by my wife ?
Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your question

I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.

If you fail to come up with the money, or fail to put in place a payment plan to which HMRC are agreeable, HMRC will then take this to court and start bankruptcy proceedings against you.
Then the half share of the property is considered within any bankruptcy order, but the sale cannot be forced if there is no equity or less than £1000 of equity in the property.
If more, then yes a sale can be enforced.

Let me know if you have any follow up questions