taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

My Daughter is working on a cruise ship which travels worldwide.

My Daughter is working on a cruise ship which travels worldwide. Has a 2nd 7 month contract with Steiner Transocean which is based in America. She has applied to HMRC for a UTR to complete a self assessment form. However the form requires a PAYE number which she has not got. She is paid in American dollars and has no deductions taken from her wages so needs to declare her earnings. The online form will not allow you to continue without PAYE number which she has not got from this company. She has not registered as self employed as she has a contract. Could you offer any advice please.
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

I have looked at the form "Registering for self assessment and getting a tax return" here and it does not require a PAYE number in order to progress.
You need your National Insurance number.

You should tick the box that says "date started receiving taxable foreign income" and insert the start date in the box.

The link to SA1 is here

https://online.hmrc.gov.uk/shortforms/form/SA1?dept-name=&sub-dept-name=&location=43&origin=http://www.hmrc.gov.uk

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We have registered the SA1 form using national insurance number. It is on the actual tax return itself that requires a payee number
Lynda, thank you for your reply.

You should complete the foreign section of the tax return to show earnings from foreign employer and tax deductions if any.

The employment section of the tax return covers UK based employers.
Confirmation of this obtained from HMRC agents helpline.