Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

married couples over 75 tax allowance in2010

Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your question, I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.

First I am sorry to hear of the loss of your wife.

May I clarify what you are asking as you advise you wish to establish what the married couples allowance was for 2010, but then refer to the lump sum payment from your late wifes former employer - which had suffered tax, which would have occurred in march 2013.

So could you advise
1) When was the lump sum payment made (the date) and how much was it for and the tax suffered
2) What will be your income for 2013/2014 if it was paid to you before 05/04/2014, and what will your income be for the year if it was paid after 05/04/2014.
3) The relevance of asking for the married couples allowance for over 75s for 2010

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the lump sum was £5781 the tax taken was £1049 .64

Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
Hi Frederick

Thanks for your response

And when was it paid, before or after 05/04/2014
If before 05/04/2014 what was your total income for that year
If after 05/04/2014 what will be your total income or this tax year

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the lump sum was paid 21 march 2013 income before 5/4/2014 was 4792.58 and after 5/4/2014 4889.69

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it was paid before 5/4/2014 income for that year before was 4792.58 and 5/4/2014 was4889.69

Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your response

Then as your total income for the tax year 2013/2014 was £10573 - with the lump sum and your normal annual income, then regardless of the married couples allowance, you are a non taxpayer with just the use of the personal age related allowances (which were £10,660 so a refund is due.

All you need to do is write to HMRC (Let me know if you need an address) and provide them with copies of your P60 or state pension information, and also the paperwork relating to the lump sum payment, They can then arrange to make this tax refund to you.

let me know if you have any follow up questions

Sam, Accountant
Experience: 26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax