Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

Question on invoices: Lets suppose that I issue an invoice

Question on invoices:
Let's suppose that I issue an invoice to a customer indicating status "waiting for payment"
The customer decide not to pay this invoice and I am fine because no service has been delivered before the payment... should I delete that invoice number or keep it as a not paid invoice?
Other case... the customer over a £1000 invoice which is issued when I quote a service (in status "waiting for payment") decides to interrupt the collaboration at half project paying just £500. Can I change the content of that invoice previously issued for £1000 in £500 keeping the same number?

All the invoices are generated by an automatic software online, so there is no paper transaction involved and each invoice clearly set the status whether it is a "waiting for payment" or "completed"
Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your questions, I am Sam and am one of the UK tax experts on Just Answer

1) You should not be issuing an invoice until the work is completed but a quote - which then is issued as an invoice once the work has been completed, and you keep the quotes - although some may not materialise into work actually provided - but as this is software - its clearly a quote - but you should NOT delete these

2)This second question is a legal question and not a tax question and also relies on what terms and conditions you set with the customer (usually in writing) as to what would take place should the work not be completed (either through their action or yours) but you will need to post a question on UK law for further information.