bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

Question re tax / contract work / travelling expenses My

Customer Question

Question re tax / contract work / travelling expenses

My question is about reclaiming travelling expenses or receiving tax back.

I usually get lifts to work in a relative's car which is registered in their name not mine.

I would like to ask if there is any way to reclaim the same tax as if the car was registered in my name.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.

There is no entitlement to tax relief on residence to normal place of duty ie commuting. Whoever's car you use the answer is in the negative.

Sorry to have to bring you such gloomy information.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry, I didn't make it clear that I work through an umbrella company, and have read that travel can be claimed.

Right, that changes the whole ball game and the following applies. This is because your normal place of work is the umbrella company's premises or location and where you work is temporary duty.

Contractor UK [edited] website gives the following summary:

'With an Umbrella Company Mileage & general travel expenses can be allowable. According to the Guide from Contractor Umbrella: “You can claim the cost of travel to and from your temporary place of work. Mileage rates are 45p per mile for the first 10,000 miles in any fiscal year and then 25p per mile thereafter. This allowance is to cover fuel and full running and capital costs of the vehicle. If you are travelling to work as a passenger in a car you are entitled to claim 5p per mile. You can also claim for parking and congestion charges but you may not claim for parking fines or speeding fines. The cost of travel by public transport can be claimed but you must have a valid receipt."'
bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience: FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Delighted to be of assistance. Thank you for your support.