Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

Hi, My husband has left he UK in January 2014 to work in

My husband has left he UK in January 2014 to work in Qatar. Myself and the children have remained in the UK. We don't own a property and his military pension is paid into a UK account. His overseas work is paid into an overseas account. He plans to return to the Uk for 15 days maximum per year. He filled out the form and sent it to HMRC before he went in January. Is he exempt from paying UK tax?
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your question
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.

Please advise
1) How long this employment contract will last until
2) What days he may have returned for visits to the UK from Jan 2014 to 05/04/2014
3)That he will have less than 15 days visits fro this tax year (which runs from 0604/2014 to 05/04/2015)
4) Whether you rent property here in the UK
5) Have you chased up HMRC for the form completed - and was it a P85, regarding his job abroad and how long he would remain out of the UK?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1. His contract is for 3 years with opportunities to extend if he wishes to.

2. He left the UK on 12th January 2014 and has not returned to the UK since.

3. He will have less than 15 days in the UK in the current tax year 2014-2015

4. W e rent a property in the UK and currently he is on the tenancy agreement, however, I am moving next month and will rent a property in solely my own name.

5. The HMRC did send acknowledgement of having received his P85

Thanks,

Lisa

Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
Hi Lisa

Thanks for your response

Then based on the answers you have provided, which I am sure HMRC have agreed on, he will be treated as resident throughout this time working abroad, which in essence means, all income earned abroad, will be exempt from UK tax (and this also applies, even if he had this overseas money paid into a UK bank account, or had some transferred back to the UK, as its his residency status that determines the tax free position.

Sam, Accountant
Experience: 26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax