bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

Hi SAM TAX PERSON WHO DELT WITH MY CLAIM SAID I OWED TAX

Customer Question

Hi SAM TAX PERSON WHO DELT WITH MY CLAIM SAID I OWED TAX FOR 2010/11 2011/12 2012/13 THIS IS WRONG THEY CLASSED ME AS A SINGLE PERSON BEING OVER 75 WE STILL RETAINED OUR MARRIED ALLWANCE TILTHE WIFE DIED ON MARCH 4TH 2013 MY DAUGHTER COMES BACK FROM HOLIDAY ON SATERDAY 24TH SHE SAID I WILL PHONE TAX OFFICE SO HOPE WE GET SOME ANSWER FROM THEM I WILL CONTACT YOU IF WE GET A PROPER ANSWER AFTER 12 MONTHS OF TRYING THANKING YOU FREDERICK
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 3 years ago.

Hello Frederick, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question. I am so sorry to hear of your wife's demise.

What you need to do is claim the correct Personal Allowance for your age and also possibly Married Coulples Alowance for the period when your wife was with us.

Here is the HMRC advice on the subject:

'You can claim Married Couple's Allowance if you're married or in a civil partnership and at least one spouse or civil partner was born before 6 April 1935.

It's an amount that is taken off your tax bill - so you can only claim it if you pay tax. However, if your income isn't high enough to benefit from the allowance you can transfer the surplus to your spouse or civil partner.'

Personally, I would advise you to take this up in writing, rather than spend a frustrating time waiting for HMRC to answer. This has been the subject of adverse complaints in the press and comments in Parliament. Also in writing there can be no confusion and less chance of someone getting hold of the wrong end of the stick, that is if they can even find the stick at all!.