bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

My employer wants us to work from home. In the course of our

Customer Question

My employer wants us to work from home. In the course of our work we are required to use our own car to visit customers. They pay mileage but say because we no longer have to travel the 15 miles to and from the office, we have to deduct 30 miles a day, as I will probably do no more than 20 miles a day it means I cannot claim anything, but if I didn't have this job I could do without a car. How do we stand as the mileage allowance that was paid I understood was to also contribute towards insurance tax upkeep etc.

M.d. Vercoe
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.

Your employer is, in my view, being rather naughty. Having made it a requirement of your employment that your home is your place of employment it follows that any motor mileage undertaken on the firm's business is allowable against tax. However, all is not lost. You can claim 45p per mile through the medium of your annual self assessment tax return. You will find a box for this purpose in the employment section of the return.

Incidentally, you can also use this box to claim whatever your employer pays you per mile for motor mileage up to the 45p rate difference. Indeed it is HMRC's advice that you do so, not many people know that! If they pay you for example 35p/mile then you claim, in addition, 10p/mile through the tax return.
Thank you for your support.