bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I need information confirming that I was self employed in 1996

Customer Question

I need information confirming that I was self employed in 1996 for the insurance onbudsman
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.

Have you, by any chance, your Income Tax Assessment for the appropriate period. This would indicate if you had Schedule DI or DII income which is self employment. Indeed, any correspondence with your tax office might throw some light on your employment position.

With respect you should always keep tax information. My own tax files go back to 1961 when I started work and it was my Mother, who was responsible for the introduction of PAYE into the BBC in the 40s, who advised me never to destroy tax files. It is amazing how useful these have been over the years.

Alternatively, have you any correspondence with clients for the period in question? These might show that you were self employed.