How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3823
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

Hi... My partner and I work in Spain for up to 10 months at

Customer Question

Hi... My partner and I work in Spain for up to 10 months at a time, returning to the UK for up to 2 months. We have no property and stay with friends/relatives or holiday when in the UK. We will be taking an 8 month break from work and for this (and future holidays) want to buy a static caravan on a holiday park but I've read we can only do this if we have an existing UK address where we pay council tax. How can we proceed please?
Thanks in advance.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 3 years ago.
I have had a look on the net and I cannot find any requirement for a static caravan purchaser to be restricted in the manner you pose in your question. Could you please expand further as to where you received this information?

The way round the problem could be to give your son the money to but the caravan. There are no UK tax implications with such a gift, but, remember that your son will be the owner not you and in the event of some future falling out there could be an element of embarrassment if he demanded his property back. You could, of course, arrange a formal rent of the caravan at a peppercorn to cover your position. You just have to hope that you will get your cash back as some future sale of the van as it is his. It would be safer for you to instruct a solicitor to document the sale and lease process to protect your own interests.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The information came from ....section 7 refers to 1960 act which implies the site owner will have been given specific requirement in their licence so they must make sure that the caravan owners comply with these.
The site owner at 'Smytham Manor' in Torrington told me that he would need to see a utility bill and council tax bill for him to comply to his licence obligations. We have neither of these. And therein lays our problem.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I see. I thought that it might be a site licence problem.


Your wriggle round solution is clearly your son's purchase of the caravan. Make sure that you have a private written agreement with him as to the actual position. I have advised you of the possible problem which, I would hope, would not be a problem at all. I'm an accountant so naturally a belt and braces man and view everything with deep suspicion!


I think this is the best, XXXXX XXXXX most economical solution.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your support.

Related Tax Questions