TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

I am from the UK but have lived and worked in Jersey for 6

I am from the UK but have lived and worked in Jersey for 6 years, paying all appropriate taxes.

I own a residential property in the UK that I have retained for my own use since I have been in Jersey which I am now considering renting.

What steps should I take to ensure tax affairs are up to date and who do I pay tax to?

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 3 years ago.
When you conducted your search on HMRC site did you run across the nonresident landlord information?
If you have rental property in the UK but your usual home is outside the UK, your tenants or the letting agents you use will need to operate the Non-resident Landlord (NRL) Scheme.
Letting agents and/or tenants don't have to deduct tax if HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) tells them not to HMRC will tell an agent/tenant not to deduct tax if you apply for the the rent to be received without the withholding.
Completed NRL applications should be sent to:
HMRC Personal Tax International
NRL Scheme Compliance S0708
PO Box 203
Bootle
L69 9AP

I will give the url for the application at the end. If you do this, you will file a self assessment showing the rental and the expenses at the regular time to file your UK return.

If you decide not to make the request then your tenant or an agent (if you use one) will deduct the tax from rental payments before you see any).

Here is the url fo rteh application:

http://search2.hmrc.gov.uk/kb5/hmrc/forms/view.page?record=Ed5BaOnynis&formId=738