Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

My partner is a self-employed bricklayer. The majority of his

My partner is a self-employed bricklayer. The majority of his jobs are done as sub-contracts for other builders and he only receives a wage - which is often taxed. For the purposes of his self-assessment form, does this count as 'employment' (and should he fill in a separate employment page for each different builder he has worked for) or should he just work out his gross/net pay for the year and put this into the business profit section? Thank you
Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your question, I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.

No this is treated as self employment and the self employment section should be completed with his gross earnings, and then any expenses claimed for which he has paid out for to undertake this work (such as tools etc)
Also any tax suffered through CIS deductions should also be reported on this self employment section (which is the tax he has suffered) so this can be taken into account when his tax and Class 4 National Insurance bill is calculated.

Feel free to ask for any clarification on the above.