taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

Hi there, my brother is thinking of sharing his shares amongst

Hi there, my brother is thinking of sharing his shares amongst his family before he dies rather than in his will, what are the tax implications for those who receive them as regards XXXXX XXXXX all or some of them? Is there a tax free allowance ? Thanks
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

First of all, any transfer of shares between your brother and other family members would be deemed a sale of shares by him and he would be chargeable to capital gains tax on any gains made on transfer/sale. He would claim his gains allowance of £11,000 against the gains and the net gain would be chargeable tp CGT at 18%, 28% or a combination of both.

As there will be no consideration, the gift would be regarded as a pottentially exempt transfer for IHT purposes and seven years rule would apply. If he survives for 7 years after making a gift to someone, the gift is generally exempt from Inheritance Tax, no matter what the value.

Once the shares are your hands i.e. you are the registered owner of those shares, then you would be liable to CGT on any gains you make and your cost price would be the transfer price from your brother to you. New owners would claim gains allowance against their respective gains.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is there a tax free ammount shares that can be sold per year ?
John, thank you for your reply...

Provided your gain from sale of shares is below the gains allowance, there is no CGT payable. The tax free amount for current tax year is £11,000.