Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

On the death of my wife I received a some of money when the

On the death of my wife I received a some of money when the insurance company paid out her life policy. Do I declare this and if so where?
Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your question. I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.

Insurance polices paid out on death are not usually liable to income tax, as the premiums would have been paid for from taxed income.
This being the case there is no need to declare this to HMRC

If there was a tax position arising - then the policy provider would have provided you with a chargeable event certificate - did this occur?