TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

Hi, my earnings have just jumped by £10k to £51k +car my wife

Customer Question

Hi, my earnings have just jumped by £10k to £51k +car my wife has an income from a property she rents which is approx £7000pa. She receives child benifit for our two children. How will my change in income affect us
Expert:  TonyTax replied 3 years ago.

There is some very useful information on the the child benefit tax charge here. If your "adjusted net income" in the current tax year is more than £50,000, then you will have to pay the charge. You can work out what your likely adjusted net income for 2014/15 will be by using the calculator here. You can keep your income at or below £50,000 and so avoid the charge by paying sufficient pension contributions and/or making charitable contributions.

The tax charge is 1% of the child benefit you or your wife receives for every £100 of income that your income exceeds £50,000. The calculator will work out the potential tax charge based on the information you put into it.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 3 years ago.

Hi again. It's been a couple of days since I answered your question. Is there anything you need further clarification on? If you would like me to calculate the extra tax you will pay as a result of your pay rise and acquisition of a company car, please let me have the car details.