TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

2013-4 my wife received gross salary of £8700, retirement pension

2013-4 my wife received gross salary of £8700, retirement pension £3800 and half of rent of property jointly owned £3300. Total £15800 approx. I received retirement pension £5800, annuities gross £15550, retirement pension £5800, half of property rent £3300. Total £24650.
My wife proposes to stop work this year but in 2015-6 on above basis (disregarding any intermediate changes) her income would be only £7050 while mine would still be nearly £25000.
Is there anything I can do to reduce our overall tax liability without severing joint tenancy?
DOB Wife 10.2.46 Self 30.8.35
Expert:  TonyTax replied 3 years ago.

Since you appear to have no income from cash deposits, there would seem to be no possibilities there, ie by moving such deposits into your wife's name. You have already considered the possibility of putting the rental property into your wife's name which would have the effect of all the income from that source being hers for tax purposes. That would certainly help to make the most of her personal allowance.

As neither you not your wife were born before 6 April 1935, you are not entitled to the married couple's allowance which can me switched between spouses. However, as you will read here and here, from 6 April 2015, it will be possible for one spouse or civil partner to transfer up to £1,000 or £1,050 of their personal allowance depending on the level of the allowance they get, £10,000 or £10,500, to their spouse or civil partner so as not to waste it. The fine detail on this and how such a transfer will be effected has yet to be published.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.