Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I am self employed and married but my wife does not work.Can

I am self employed and married but my wife does not work.Can I claim any tax back as i believ ter is no longer any married couples allowance.I am 61 years old and my wife is 58.
Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your question, I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.

Married couples allowance is only available for those married couples, one of whom was born before 6/04/1935, which sadly does not apply to you. So you do not have a claim for this.

So you will be allocated the basic personal allowances - which for 2013/2014 allow you to earn the first £9440 tax free (this is restricted if your net income is in excess of £100,000)

Let me know if you have any follow up questions or any further struggles with the online return