TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

I have a VAT inspection appointment letter and am slightly

Customer Question

I have a VAT inspection appointment letter and am slightly concerned that it states in the subject line along with Date - Our Ref - VAT Number

CASE REFERENCE

On previous VAT inspection letters confirming the date of a visit it only say's REFERENCE
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 3 years ago.
A VAT inspection is always at first a little unnerving. As you have experienced past inspections you know that they are not always negative.
The change in the wording is not a reason for concern.
It does not mean you are under greater scrutiny than previous inspections.
It is still simply a tracking number that assigns your inspection to a specific inspection officer.
I sincerely hope you do not experience extra concern with this word change or addition in the letter.
You stated you had an additional question about Corporation Tax and penalties. Please use the following url to read over that information prior to posting your question.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/ct/change/problems/penalties.htm
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What I am looking for is confirmation that the change from "reference" to "case reference" is a a standard change in phrasing from HMRC

As this is different from previous letters that have been received - it sounds ominous and I would like to know for certain that it is now standard procedure

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 3 years ago.
It is standard. The case reference number is supposed to assist HMRC in tracking inter-office mail.
It should not appear ominous at all.
This was all implemented for their scanning procedures.