taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

My mother-in-law, who is Turkish and lives in Turkey, is giving

My mother-in-law, who is Turkish and lives in Turkey, is giving my wife a large cash gift. Are we liable to pay tax on it?
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

There is no tax on cash gifts received. As a recipient of a gift, you receive it tax free.
As it is a large cash gift, you are best advised to have it properly documented confirming it is a gift and unconditional. This would help with any questions HMRC may have in the future and also comply with Money Laundering regulations with the bank.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.