Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

If a UK registered ltd company buys a residential property

If a UK registered ltd company buys a residential property in the UK to let out, does it have to charge VAT on the rent
Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your question, I am Sam and I a one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.
Only of the purchase was with the option to tax, which as a residential property is unlikely.
So no, VAT does not need to be charged on the rents, as unless the option to tax arises on the building purchase, then its an exempt supply (in which case you also cannot claim back any VAT costs incurred on purchases/costs for this property either