TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

UK residents with foreign income or gains: certificates of

Customer Question

UK residents with foreign income or gains: certificates of residence..i need to get the COR for my advance and future income from Japan.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 3 years ago.

You can get a certificate of UK tax residence by reading the notes here and applying for a certificate here.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks so much for this. I've downloaded and printed the application but it seems very complicated, and I can't seen to download a copy of the notes to help me fill it in. Also, there doesn't seem to be any bit in the application where I can fill in my writer name and book title, or indeed any reference at all to what I need the Certificate for, which I'd been led to expect there would be. Is this definitely the right document I need for exemption for tax on my Japanese royalties, or does it by any chance have a different title?

Rose

Expert:  TonyTax replied 3 years ago.
This is the only form that you can complete to get a UK tax residence certificate. You don't need to download it as you can complete it online.

If I were you, I'd put the name of the book and your writing name in the box "Types and amount of income for the period" near the bottom of the form. It is a general form and cannot be as specific as you would like. Article 12 of the UK/Japan double tax treaty here deals with royalties.

There is a box which asks why you need the certificate which you can write up to 2,000 characters in about two-thirds of the way down.