TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

i have found a old cheque payable to me for overpaid tax is

i have found a old cheque payable to me for overpaid tax is it still valid
Expert:  TonyTax replied 3 years ago.

If it is over six months old, it cannot be presented for payment through your bank.

Call the number here, explain the situation and ask them to which tax office you should send the cheque/payable order so that you can get a replacement. They may tell you to destroy it once you have given them the details as they can confirm through their own checks and procedures that it has not been presented.

If you have to return it to HMRC, I would recommend that you keep a copy of the cheque/payable order and send the original back by signed for guaranteed delivery. Give HMRC a month before you start to chase them on the phone.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.