TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

i am a non-resident uk property owner. am i liable to tax

i am a non-resident uk property owner. am i liable to tax in the uk. am i to file annualn tax returns?
Expert:  TonyTax replied 3 years ago.

You say that you have been filing self-assessment tax returns. Have you been disclosing the UK rental income and expenses in those returns? Which nationality are you?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes i have been disclosing uk rental income and expenses. i aqm a Nigerian, but come into thje uk once a year and receive penalty letters always

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i am a Nigerian. yes i do disclose my uk rental income and expenses but i do incur a lot of tax penalties because i am around only once a year and the letters wait for me for months

Expert:  TonyTax replied 3 years ago.

As a non-resident landlord, you are due to submit tax returns to disclose UK source income and pay tax on any profit I'm afraid. Take a look here for information on your eligibility for personal tax allowances.

If you submit your returns late and/or pay any tax due late then you will get penalties I'm afraid. Take a look here for information on the penalties which are charged for late filing of tax returns and for late payment of tax due.

For example, the 2012/13 tax return covering the year ended 5 April 2013 was due to be submitted by 31 January 2014 at the latest. Miss it by one day and you get fined £100. The fines mount up as the delay in submission gets longer. You can appeal against penalties.

As you are a non-resident landlord, you should be aware of the non-resident landlord scheme which you can read about here.

You should notify HMRC of your address abroad so that you get notifications from HMRC earlier.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.