bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

Hi, I work for a Norwegian company and pay Norwegian tax.

Customer Question

I work for a Norwegian company and pay Norwegian tax. I live in the UK. Each year I fill in my UK Self Assessment tax return and each year I neither owe any extra tax or receive a refund. This year however after filling in the HMRC online tax form it appears I am due a refund. This is all very nice, however because I haven't received one in the past I am sceptical. Has the treatment of foreign income changed? Have I missed out on a refund in previous years? Is it normal for the UK government to refund tax paid to a foreign government?
Thanks in advance for looking at this.
Dave
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 3 years ago.
Hello Dave, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.
As far as you are concerned there has been no change. It is possible, however, that your tax return revealed an over payment of UK tax at some time. You should have received from HMRC a statement of your tax position after each annual self assessment return. You should always check these for accuracy, after all everyone makes mistakes occasionally. This would not be refunded Norwegian tax, but a UK taxation matter.
The ball is in your court. You may have to look back in your records in the absence of data from HMRC.
I do hope I have helped you with your query.
Thank you for your support.