How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 13917
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

to claim tax relief for job expenses that have not been reimusred

Customer Question

to claim tax relief for job expenses that have not been reimusred which part of the self assessment form do i add them under
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your question, I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.
On the employment section after you have added in your employment details (reference number, pay and tax) then you are asked whether you have any benefits provided with the job, and after that, any expenses that you have incurred.
This is where you claim those expenses.
let me know if you require any further assistance
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok so...i ticked no for the box of receiving any benefits

and ticked yes for any expenses

then on the next packe add the detail of amounts?

i already submitted this assessment and received no tax relief for expenses

when i called they said that i had not made any claim yet i put the same amount in the expenese box?

i am now amending it but the same amounts?

Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your response
Yes you have it - and yes, you have to add the amounts of expenses in the appropriate boxes (whether travel etc etc)
Is this an online or paper tax return ? As the online return will make the calculation for you straight away - and show any tax refund that might arise if the claim reduces the tax due.
I have no idea why the first time you entered the information this dis not result in the claim being valid, I have never heard of this happening before, unless they made the mistake and (if a paper return) and failed to capture the information, and the call centre will never have access to the original return.
But the online self assessment would never miss this information, as its shown within the calculation, what expenses have been awarded.
If you advise your pay and tax for the year, and clarify your tax code was 940L and advise the amount of expenses you are claiming, I can advise the tax position for you, if that would help.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

its not working...just saying ive only overpaid by 9.20

Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.
If you could advise
1) Your pay and tax suffered in the employment for 2013/2014
2) The tax code used against this pay during 2013/2013 (940L or something else, if something else, please advise what else was in your tax code)
3) The amount of expenses you are claiming.
I can then confirm the refund due
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


i am a bit silly....i was only adding a weekly figure rather than a yearly!!

Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.
That's good ! Let me know if it then shows a more realistic figure as a refund (bear in mind that the expenses you claim are not given back pound for pound, but you get tax relief on the amount claimed, so if a basic rate taxpayer, the refund should equal 20% of the amount claimed in expenses)
Let me know if I can be of any further assistance, but it would be appreciated if you could rate the level of service/support I have provided.