TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

My mother wants to take all her money (over 100k) out of her

My mother wants to take all her money (over 100k) out of her bank and put it in a joint account in me and my brothers name. Is there any tax implications
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 years ago.
Under Scots Law where Bank Accounts are held in joint names and the survivorship destination does not by itself pass the ownership of the money in the account to the survivor.
An account with a Bank is not a document of title. the ownership of the funds in the account is determined according to the ordinary principles of ownership. The owner of the funds in the account (your mother) remains the owner unless and until some transfer of ownership occurs.
There would be no tax on the account being opened.
If the account passes to you, the children, under the terms of your mother's will then the asset will be chargeable to Inheritance Tax.
You may want to read the following:
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/ihtmanual/IHTM15050.htm