Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I am a resident and citizen of Spain. I am a self employed

I am a resident and citizen of Spain. I am a self employed language interpreter I have my customers mainly in Germany. Can I become a freelance self-employed person in the UK with a bank account and bill from the UK?
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question
Can I ask
1) Do you plan to move to the UK and carry out this work here OR
2) Remain in Spain and just offer this service to UK customers
Is there a reason why you want to become a self employed person in the UK and have a UK bank account?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1) No

2) Remain in Spain and offer this service to my German customers (I have no business in Spain)

3) Because the idea is that I would bill my German customer from the UK consequently I need an address and a Bank account.

Or do you think I would be better off setting up a small company in the UK?

Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your response
You cannot set up a UK bank account or company if you are not residing and/or trading in the UK so this will not be possible I am afraid.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the service was OK but the answer was not satisfactory to me

Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
I could have advised that you could do this, but as this was not the correct legal position, I can only be honest, which I am sure you can appreciate.
The rating is designed to assess the level of service provided, rather than hearing the answer that you want - and I do wish I could offer you the answer that you want to hear, but I would not be undertaking my job properly if I did this :)
Rating ensures I am credited for time , so it would be appreciated if you would undertake this
Sam, Accountant
Experience: 26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax