TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

I am looking to work offshore and receive income tax free.

I am looking to work offshore and receive income tax free. I will be UK Dom but not resident, will I be liable for UK tax if I remit that income to UK?
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 years ago.
You will tell HMRC about foreign income by completing a Self Assessment tax return.
You can:
either pay tax on the 'arising basis' - which means you pay tax in the UK on all of your UK and foreign income and gains
or you can pay tax on the 'remittance basis' – which means that you pay tax in the UK on your UK income and gains. You also pay tax on your foreign income and gains but only if they are brought into the UK. So yes, you will pay tax if the income is brought to the UK.
If you choose the remittance basis, you will lose your annual UK tax-free Personal Allowances and Capital Gains Tax annual exempt amount.