taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

A builder did a hard landscaping job at the front of my house.

A builder did a hard landscaping job at the front of my house. After paying a fixed price for the job, he, in his words, knocked £300 off the VAT as a goodwill gesture so I gave him the balance. He told me to call him if I had any problems later on. Within days there were problems with the work - the cement work caved in and turned to sand. I called him and he said he would only come back and carry out repairs if I gave him the rest of the VAT money. He has also become very threatening and abusive and I had to report him to the police. What do I do about the tax issue? I'm not even sure if he is VAT registered and I have nothing in writing from him. An invoice was priced at £150.
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

Please clarify for me...

You say the supplier knocked £300 from the invoice as a goodwill gesture.
Were you issued with a VAT invoice in the first instant. If so, did it show his VAT registration number? You say you have nothing in writing from him yet an invoice was priced at £150.

Do you mean to say £1,500... as £300 would be the VAT on £1,500 and not on £150.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your reply. I was not given a VAT invoice in the first instant. When he told me that an invoice would cost £150, I declined and when I asked him for receipts he refused to provide any so I have no paperwork - no contract etc.

Nancy, thank you for your prompt reply...

A practical advice for your consideration...
How much would it cost you to put the matter right.. around £300?
You say the builder has become very threatening and abusive.
In light of this, I would stay clear of this builder and get the work done by some one else... You will find, it is a small price to pay in the long run, in relative terms.

Pursuing the builder may not achieve the desired goal but may be costly financially and also stressful. just write this money off to bitter experience.

You could report the matter to HMRC to enable them to carry out any enquiry into his tax affairs.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your rapid response. Just to be clear, are you advising me to pay the builder the £300 VAT to end this matter?

Nancy, thank you for your reply.

I am not suggesting you pay the builder £300 to end the matter.

I am suggesting you stay away from this builder and engage another builder to put right what is wrong (carry out the repairs).

Retain photographic evidence of what work is being repaired.

I hope this is helpful.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

One last question, when I reported the threats to the police, they said that the builder could take me to the small claims court to get his £300 VAT. With no paperwork to speak of, it will be his word against mine. What could I do in a situation like that?

Nancy, the builder would have to produce an invoice or some other document to support his claim.

You would have an opportunity to defend the claim and also put a counter claim for work needing repairs post completion of his work. Thats why it is important to take pictures showing poor workmanship etc.

I would not unduly worry if he never gave you an official invoice/receipt for work done.

I hope this is helpful.

If you are happy and there are no more issues I will appreciate if you would kindly rate the service I provided to ensure I get credited for it.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your advice.

Have a good evening.

Nancy.

Thank you Nancy..

Have a pleasant weekend.

I will appreciate if you would kindly rate the service I provided to ensure I get credited for it before you close the question.

Experience: FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes