taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

Hello. I am almost 55 and considering taking early retirement.

Hello. I am almost 55 and considering taking early retirement. I currently reside in the UK, but also have a holiday home in Portugal.
I was recently informed by my Portugese neighbour, who was French, that I could potentially, change my permanent residency to Portugal and in doing so could avoid paying any tax on my UK private pension??
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

If you become non resident in the UK for tax purposes, you could ask HMRC to issue you with a NT tax code meaning no tax is deducted from your private pension by the pension provider.

You will be paid your pension gross and you would pay tax on it in Portugal.

More information on this can be found here- look at Q4

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/rac-faqs-non-res.htm

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thankyou for the reply. So, if I understand correctly, as the is a Double Tax Treaty in place between the UK and Portugal, I may be able to get Tax Exemption in the UK, chosing instead to pay tax in Portugal, where it is currently zero, for retiring residents??
Stephen, thank you for your reply.

Under the DTA between the two countries, you will be able to draw your private pension gross in Portugal and it would become chargeable to income tax in that country.

I hope this is helpful.

If you are happy and there are no more issues I will appreciate if you would kindly rate the service I provided to ensure I get credited for it.