TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

What is the maximum amount that a person can gift aid. i.e

What is the maximum amount that a person can gift aid. i.e taxed paid each month is£152.00 can I gift aid more than that each month?
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.

You as the donor have to have paid an amount of tax at least equal to the tax that will be reclaimed by the charity to which you donate under the gift aid rules for the charity to be able to get the tax back. So, if you pay £152 per month in tax, you can give a maximum of £608 per month in actual cash donations. This grosses up to £760 per month and the charity can reclaim £152 from the tax office.

There is nothing to stop you donating more than is covered by the tax you pay but if that happens, you will have to pay the basic rate tax to the tax office so they are not out of pocket when they pay the basic rate tax to the charity.

You can backdate donations to the previous tax year as you will read in the useful notes on gift aid here.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.