taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

I have just started a new job and my tax code as been changed

I have just started a new job and my tax code as been changed from 1000L to 1T M1.
I have been unable to get through to HMRC by phone and on-line cannot find the answers.
Please could you clarify the above code.
Marie
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

A T tax code is normally given if there are any other items HMRC needs to review in the tax payer's code

An example would be if there are income related reduction to personal allowance e.g. benefits in kind, income likely to exceed £100,000 and the effect of it on a tax code.

You can also email HMRC to tell then your tax code is wrong... More information on this can be found here

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/incometax/email-taxcode-wrong.htm

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The answer was not helpful and didn't cover the whole of my question.

Marie, thank you for your reply.

You say, the answer does not cover the whole of your question... your question is "I have just started a new job and my tax code as been changed from 1000L to 1T M1. I have been unable to get through to HMRC by phone and on-line cannot find the answers. Please could you clarify the above code."

You have requested low level of detail ....

I have given you a clear and straight answer to your question. You have been given 1T M1 tax code as a temporary measure to enable the tax man to assess your tax code properly.
Please advise your salary and also confirm if you get any benefits in kind.

If your 'adjusted net income' is over £100,000, your Personal Allowance is reduced by half of the amount - £1 for every £2 - you have over that limit. If your income is large enough, your Personal Allowance will be reduced to nil. This £100,000 limit applies irrespective of your date of birth.

The normal personal allowance is £10,000 (represented by tax code 1000L).

Please let me how I can help you further.

You may not wish to pay for the answer but I would like you to reconsider your rating as it does not do any justice to professional service provided when the answer is correct.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The answer does now answer my question

Marie, thank you for your reply

Marie, you state the answer does now answer my question..

I am pleased and I hope this is helpful.

If you are happy and there are no more issues I will appreciate if you would kindly rate the service I provided to ensure I get credited for it.

Experience: FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Marie, I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes.