bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

can a self funded student claim tax relief on UK taxes to study

Customer Question

can a self funded student claim tax relief on UK taxes to study for a MSc ?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question. The news I bring however is not good as there is no tax relief available and grant funding sparse.
However, grants may be made. The UK Government web site Funding for post graduate studies has the following advice:
'You can apply for funding for:
Initial Teacher Training
Social work - through a social work bursary
Most medical or healthcare courses - through an NHS bursary
Graduate-entry medical students can also get support from Student Finance England for fees charged over £3,465.'
I would urge you to peruse this site as there are fairly prolific sources of funding possible, but not direct from HM Government. You would actually do better to be resident in Scotland where public funding is more readily available.
Sorry to have to rain on your parade. Please don't shoot the messenger!
Thank you for your support.

My daughter did her BSc at St Andrews on a Government grant. Her MSc in Greece, Italy, and Holland on an EU grant and her DEng on a package financed by the Government again (13K pa) through Hewlett Packard, the latter lasting 4 years. The fact that she then spoke 6 European languages, her discipline is Geology, might have helped things along. She traveled world wide for HP, business class, whilst daddy slummed it in reptile! She now lives and works in New Zealand so speaks Maori also.