TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

I Purchased on Ebay a Vespa Scooter

I Purchased on Ebay a Vespa Scooter Which had no Registration Number , The Scooter was bought from a Gentleman in Northampton I have Recently applied to DVLA to Register the Vehicle in my name , They have advised me to contact HMRC to obtain a NOVA Certificate (notification of Vehicle Arrival) Please advise how I can Best Proceed with this . Many Thanks Luke XXXXX

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 3 years ago.
Launched on 15 April 2013, Notification of Vehicle Arrivals (NOVA) is an online service which enables customers (VAT registered businesses, non-VAT registered businesses and private individuals) to notify HMRC about vehicles brought into the UK from abroad. It replaced a number of HMRC VAT and Customs paper forms.
You as a private individual may choose to use the HMRC online notification for NOVA or you can use an agent.
Here is the url for the HMRC page on registering to obtain the certificate you need:
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/sectors/consumers/personal-vehicles.htm
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 3 years ago.

Hello Luke,

The system notified that you responded but I am not seeing any post. If you did respond will you be so kind to repost that message.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Robin, Do I Have to apply for a NOVA certificate as I did not Import it into the UK Is that how the system works ?

Thanks for your help

LK

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for coming back and posting.
It appears that without the certificate DVLA will not register. It is not in the system as being from the UK as it was not registered prior to your purchase.