TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

Hello I am buying instruments at an ophthalmology conference

Customer Question

Hello I am buying instruments at an ophthalmology conference in uk excel convention center it is very expensive is there a way to take vat refund for these instruments . I live overseas.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.

Can you tell me where you live please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Egypt
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.

Take a look here for information on if and how you can get a VAT refund if you buy items on which you have paid VAT whilst on a visit to the UK, specifically the sections headed "If you live outside the EU, "If you live outside the EU and are working or studying in the UK", "Goods you can claim refunds for", "How to get your VAT refund" and "When you purchase the goods".

I hope this helps but le tme know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What I was asking does this refund apply to instruments I buy at the convention center in excel London convention center
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.
It applies to anything on which you pay VAT as you will read in the section headed "Goods you can claim refunds for". However, in your case, if you buying the instruments for business purposes and they cost more than £600 or they need an export licence then you won't be able to reclaim the VAT.

The seller of the items at the convention centre will be able to tell you whether an export licence is needed, though I doubt your items will. The seller at the convention centre will also need to be participating in the "Tax Free Shopping Scheme. Most sellers at conventions such as yours will be.

There is more guidance here.