bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

HMRC, are claiming back £2,958.70, from 2009-10 and 2011-12.

Customer Question

HMRC, are claiming back £2,958.70, from 2009-10 and 2011-12. They will not accept £100 a month repayment plan, even though it is their fault. saying this is not enough.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.
Firstly check their computations, HMRC frequently make mistakes. If they are correct than continue as follows. If not, then register an appeal.
Tell them that is all you can reasonably afford. They could make you bankrupt, a favourite trick, before tax debts ceased to be preferential debts, so that is an unlikely scenario at this stage. You can only keep plugging away at them until the correspondence creeps up through the office hierarchy to reach an official with some common sense; there are a few in HMRC. Continually emphasis0e that it is their fault that the situation developed in the first place so why should you dance to their tune.
The amount owing is under 3K and could be recovered by reducing your tax code by 296 to say 704 on a month one basis.
You could, of course, if you have no assets, just go bankrupt yourself and then HMRC wouldn't get a bean. There is an alternative, a Creditors' Voluntary Arrangement, but all your creditors must agree to such a process.
I would suggest that, at this stage, you just go on negotiating with HMRC to reach a mutually acceptable solution, but be cold and firm in your dealings.
I do hope I have shown you a way forward in this matter.
Thank you for your support.

Remember the old saying, stick to your guns!