How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15950
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

An 84yr old Jamaican lady resident in Nigeria owns a property

Resolved Question:

An 84yr old Jamaican lady resident in Nigeria owns a property in London which she rents out. Is tax payable on the net rental income at 20% in the UK. Are there any allowances to be personal allowance or through double tax arrangements. She has no other income and is not registered for tax in Nigeria.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TonyTax replied 3 years ago.


The Jamaican lady will be entitled to a UK personal allowance to offset against her UK rental income by reason of her being a Jamaican national. Look here for confirmation.

As a non-resident, she will be subject to the rules of the non-resident landlord scheme which you can read about here. The letting agent will need to deduct tax at the rate of 20% from the excess of rental income over expenses paid by the letting agent on the landlord's behalf unless a successful application is made to not have the rental income subjected to tax before payment to the landlord.

Tax can be charged at rates higher than 20% if the rental income net of deductible expenses and before the deduction of the personal allowance exceeds £41,865 in a tax year. Take a look here and here for the comparison of the tax liability limitations on different sources of UK source income.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you