bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I have been recieving self assessment demands for the past

Customer Question

I have been recieving self assessment demands for the past two years and is increasing all the time I have phoned and wrote letters explaining I have never been self employed or claim benifits the demands just suddenly appeared andare now over £3000
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.
Could you please expand your question slightly? Who is making these demands and upon what grounds are they being made?
Once I have fuller information I will be in a position to assist you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hm revenue &customs late filing penaltys I finshed work 10 years ago due to ill health this all started in 2010 have phone since told not worry wrote letters ect but demands keep coming

I know that it is a terrible bore, but you just have to keep appealing against these demands which you do by letter. Draw their attention to the fact that you ceased employment a decade ago, their own staff have advised you not to worry and remind HMRC that you are only required to self assess if you are receipt of income which has not been taxed.
If, however, HMRC have sent you self assessment return for you to complete and you have failed to respond then regrettably they are entitled to charge penalties for non compliance.
As you keep on batting back their letters your correspondence may rise up the levels of hierarchy within the tax office until they reach an official with a greater understanding of taxation than is currently being displayed. One point to consider, are these letters coming from more than one tax office? This unfortunate situation does occur from time to time although it should not. Also, have they your personal details correct eg National Insurance number, tax reference etc?
I do hope that I have been able to point the way forward for you. I am so sorry that it has to be so labour intensive.
Thank you for your support.