TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

as a club golf pro (employed) can I claim costs of getting

as a club golf pro (employed) can I claim costs of getting to golf tournaments. I have to play a certain number of tournaments to keep my pga status which is a condition of my employment
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.

You can only get tax relief for allowable expenses. Expenses are allowable if they're for the cost of:

• travelling you had to do whilst doing your job
  • other expenses you had to pay whilst doing your job - and which related only to doing your job

Your employment would be your work for a club not your PGA pro golf standing.I understand that the standing make syou a pro and by that standing you are employed by the club but that expense would not be seen as a direct expense in the course of your employment.

The traveling would need to be in the course of your work for the club itself in relation to the instruction you offer unfortuantely.