TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

Is there a HMRC tax concession in respect of use of home as

Is there a HMRC tax concession in respect of use of home as an office for self employed tax payers? If so, how much is allowed?
Expert:  TonyTax replied 3 years ago.
There is no official HMRC concession for the self-employed as far as use of home as office is concerned. Any such claim should as far as is possible be based on the reality of the situation.
Take a look at the notes starting at:
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/bimmanual/bim47800.htm
Any claim you make should be based on either the actual costs for the room you use or on the size of it in relation to the rest of the property. If you use a room for business purposes to the exclusion of any other purposes whilst it is being used for business purposes, you can claim more types of expenses as shown in BIM47820 whereas a claim for use of a room partially used for business whilst also being used for a domestic purposes at the same time is normally restricted to a proportion of the light and heat costs.
I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.